Friday, March 11, 2011

Overview & History 2010 and past

Ok.  This is my first blog and first post.  Figured an online diary of the events of my tomato planting would help.

Basic History:
As a kid, growing up in NJ I would get tomato plants from a good family friend each year.  I would plant them with my father in our back yard.  Being young your more interested in kid stuff (video games, sports, etc..), but I always remember growing tomatoes even if I didn't eat them.  This memory is one which will always be with me that I cherish.

History 2010:
In talking to my boss and good friend who has gotten into the habit of growing heirloom tomatoes amongst other vegetables each year, I decided to give it a go.

My first attempt to grow tomatoes as an adult started with the idea to make my own "Topsy Turvey" out of a Homer Bucket from Home Depot.   ( Homemade Upsidedown planter).

I made 2 and had some small type of tomato bought from Home Depot.  I used Shepards hooks and put them in my rock garden in the back yard.  Long short of it, it wasn't 100% successful.  The yield was definitely not worth the time and money.  I think I started too late.

As the summer moved on, I found someone online which had some heirloom plants.  I picked some up (Thanks Perry).  This started my adventure into a raised bed.  I bought 3 x 8' 2x8s and made a rectangular box.  I had about a cubic yard of special plant mix from Luxury Landscape. I  had some leftover weed screen and a bunch of bamboo sticks.  I was excited as I had various types (Anna Russian, Pink Oxheart, Pineapple, Yellow Brandywine, Beefsteak, Beauty King, Ceylon, Yellow Pear).  The plants grew very healthy except for a battle with TOMATO HORN WORM .  I did yield some fruit, but not as much as I expected.  I had a late start.  Sometime in mid July I started.




1 comment:

  1. WOW!! You have really done your homework! Can't wait to see the genious at work! Will tell Stan not to help "water" the tomatoes. Excited to see what happens next. Keep those maters growin!! I get some this year! Mema

    ReplyDelete