Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Start Day 3/31/2012

This year the weather has been really out of the ordinary.  I broke ground and planted on March 31, 2012.  (Although this post is 4/24/12).

This year I have set out 8 plants in 1 box and 4 in the other.  The other half has some zucchini, squash, cucumbers, and beans.  I have planted about 5 more tomatoes outside of the box.

Here are some pics of my setup.

These were mid growth, after seedling stage moved into garage with fluorescent light on timer with a fan.




This year I am using newspaper in lieu of the black landscape fabric.  I had to tear up the fabric to till the dirt.  It was very easy to shred.  I want to see how the newspaper works.  I did wet it for like 3 days constant to form a paper mache type bond.




This is my potato bin.  Yes. I used a long pallet (10' x 4') and ripped it up and cut the long beams in 2.  Then attached the bottom ones around.  Its a bit wobbly so I used another board up top to assist.


3/31/12 - Begin to plant in the ground.  I was lazy this year and did not pay attention to what went where, so it will be a fun harvest when I see the fruits of my labor.  I planted, Brandywine from Croatia, Rutgers, Yellow Gooseberry, Yellow Pear, Oxheart, and some big red round tomato I do not know what it is so I call it Big Red Round.  If you see previous posts it was the gigantic tomato that weighed over a 1lb.


My little helper.



Planted some on the outside of the box again as well




Planted some veggies on the outside of the bins (Cucumber and Squash)


1 comment:

  1. Great blog and pictures! Very informative! I am curious as to how your garden and plants turned out now that it is fall and winter is coming. Do you have any more recent pictures? Very cute helper you have, gardening is a great bonding experience. Looks like she had fun! Thanks.

    Did you know KaBloom flowers last up to 5 days longer than your average florist? Visit flower delivery Dallas TX now.

    ReplyDelete