Sunday, April 24, 2011

(near) Completion of the Raised Beds

Update as of Easter Weekend 4/24/11


Friday 4/22/11 I bought 1/2 yard of PLANT MIX at LUXURY LANDSCAPE and shoveled it in.

Saturday 4/23/11: I went to Gravel Springs Nursery and bought 1 scoop (supposedly .6 yd) of Organic Potting Soil.  I finished the beds out.  Placed the weed screen.  I am deciding to use the string method of training my tomatoes this season to see how that goes.  I had some extra lumber lying around so this is what I concocted.

I will hang my stringers from the rope attached to the 2x4s.  Hope my neighbors don't mind. hehehe

And the Pièce de résistance (as created by Arden and my niece Claire)


Easter Sunday 4/24/11:
I am continuing hardening my tomato plants.  I had them outdoors bright and early at 7:30am.  They are still out there in a a nice shaded spot.  Hardening plants can be tricky or easy.  I have yet to find out.  Some sites say 2 weeks, a blog poster gave me a time table which spanned 4 days.  I am going to see how they are this evening.  That will be my decision to keep them out overnight or return them indoors.  I will have to say most are doing well.  I have about 3 which are struggling.


I did a count and I am at +/- 64 plants.  Yes 64. 
Here is the list:
Black Krim:   2 
Ace 55:   7 
Borgo Cellano:   11 
Lillian Yellow:   8 
Mortgage Lifter:   1
Hartmans Yellow Gooseberry:   6
Amish Paste:   2
Green Zebra:   3
Green Grape:   4
Pink Oxheart:   3
Anna Russian:   13   
Yellow Pear:   5


I do not plan to plant all of them as stated early in the blog.  I am only planting about 12-14 plants.


Some Notes (to self):

  • Start early, about 8 weeks before last frost
  • Success on germinating with peat pellets on top of dryer.  Laundry room is warm and dryer top is warm.
  • USING A SHOP LIGHT IS OK.  Keep light CLOSE (very close to plants)
  • A fan keeps plants from getting leggy (thigmotropism), so does being close to the light
  • Do not transplant any until they have true leaves, Cotyledon leaves are not true leaves
  • Its a hobby, be patient


Based on results this year, I will figure out which plants I want to grow next year.  I definitely wanted to do the Mortgage Lifter this year, but thats not looking too good.  I am leaning towards Rutgers or another juicy big red.

No comments:

Post a Comment